Do you need a Little Rock Social Security Disability Attorney?
Navigating the Social Security system is seldom easy, and obtaining the compensation you deserve may require legal help from a leading Social Security Disability lawyer Little Rock AR trusts.
Aside from traditional Social Security benefits that Americans earn by paying into the system, there are two types of help for people who have disabilities that prevent them from working. Social Security Disability compensation is available for those who have paid into the system at or above a specified level over time. Supplemental Security Income is a program for those who have not.
Understanding Social Security Disability Benefits
Applying for Social Security benefits because of a disability is easy, but often the initial application is just the beginning of the process.
In order to apply according to the Social Security Administration, a person must be:
- Age 18 or older
- Not currently receiving benefits on your own Social Security record
- Unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last at least 12 months or result in death; and
- Not been denied disability benefits in the last 60 days.
A person may apply in person at a Social Security office, after setting up an appointment or may apply online at www.ssa.gov. The initial application includes questions about work history, education, and medical conditions/treatments. As a disability lawyer, Little Rock AR offers would agree, it may be wise to gather all documents relating to those areas beforehand, including information regarding past medical appointments and medications.
Lisa Douglas has the Social Security Lawyers Little Rock, AR can trust
Historically, only about one-fourth of Social Security Disability claims are approved initially. Reasons for denials vary. In some cases, authorities contend that the medical condition does not prevent the applicant from working. In other cases, the condition may be temporary and not long-lasting, or might not prevent work of another type.
However, an initial Disability Denial of a Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Income claim is not the end of the road. In fact, there are four levels of appeals after a denial. Enlisting the help of a top Social Security disability lawyer Little Rock AR knows could be instrumental in a successful application.
Though an applicant who has been denied claim can appeal the decision on his or her own, an experienced Social Security disability lawyer can help an applicant appeal the decision by bolstering the case for benefits, filing documents in a timely manner and explaining every step of the process.
The four levels of appeal are:
- Reconsideration. This is simply a review of the case by someone who did not participate in the initial decision. Applicants generally are not present during a reconsideration.
- Hearing. If the reconsideration results in a denial of a claim, an applicant may ask for a hearing before an administrative Disability Law judge. This judge will not have participated in the original decision or the reconsideration. The applicant will be notified of the time and place of the hearing (usually within 75 miles of the applicant’s residence) and will have the opportunity to provide new information. Witnesses, including medical personnel, may testify during the hearing, and if a disability lawyer Little Rock AR provides is present, he or she may question the witnesses on the applicant’s behalf.
- Appeals Council. If the hearing judge denies the claim for Social Security disability benefits, the applicant may then ask for a review by the Appeals Council. The council srves as an appellate court might and has similar options. The council can decide whether to review the case, and then whether the case should be sent back to a judge for another hearing. The council may decide the case itself, too.
- Federal court. The highest level of appeal is to file a lawsuit in a federal district court.
Contact a Social Security Disability Attorney in Little Rock, AR today!
If you or a loved one has a disability preventing work, contact a Social Security disability lawyer Little Rock AR respects to help you receive all benefits available. Contact the Law Offices of Lisa G. Douglas at www.lisagdouglas.com or call us 24 hours a day at (501) 798-0004.