AR: 501-798-0004 | TX:737-400-9440 By Appointment Only
2300 Main ST North Little Rock, AR 72114
Free Case Evaluation

How to Pay Costly Medical Bills After a Car Accident?

How to Pay Costly Medical Bills After a Car Accident?


The repercussions of a car accident can be catastrophic. Some people manage to escape with minor injuries, but others are not that fortunate and sustain severe injuries.

If you become a victim of a car accident due to the negligence of someone else, you must seek immediate medical treatment for proper documentation of your injuries.

However, you must be wondering who settles the costly medical bills. In this blog, we’ll walk you through some options. Let’s get started!

Paying costly medical bills after a car accident

Health Insurance

If you have health insurance, you should use it to settle your medical bills. Many healthcare providers  will not treat car accident victims without health insurance.

Therefore, you must use your health  care insurance to pay for your treatment expenses. It will prevent you from delaying treatment or  incurring a large medical debt that can harm your credit rating.

Remember, using health insurance will not affect your ability to sue the negligent party to obtain damages. You can file a lawsuit and obtain compensation for your medical bills.

However, if the amount of compensation covers all the losses due to accident, your insurance provider may file a subrogation to recover the amount paid for your medical expenses.

How to Pay Costly Medical Bills After a Car Accident?

Med Pay

You can also use your Med Pay to pay for costly medical bills after a car accident. In Arkansas, insurance companies are legally responsible for offering Med Pay coverage to their clients.

Unless you didn’t sign a waiver to deny Med Pay, you could receive coverage of up to $5,000 for injuries in a car accident.

You can file this claim against your own insurance company while the case is pending. It can take several months or even years for the claim to be settled.

Meanwhile, you won’t have to worry about your medical bills. Again, your insurance provider can  recover their expenses through subrogation.

Lien or Letter of Protection

If you don’t have insurance or Med Pay, you can  sign a lien with your medical provider.

A lien or letter of protection is a legally binding document that gives healthcare providers priority on the amount you receive from the negligent party.

The medical provider will send a copy of this document to every party involved in the case.

Therefore, if your car accident claim is successful, the healthcare provider can recover the entire amount of their lien from your settlement amount.

Out of pocket

If you run out of options, the last resort is paying the medical bills from your pocket. You will have to wait until your case is settled to recover the money.

If you suffered injuries in a car accident in North Little Rock, AR, and want to file a claim to pursue damages, we can help! The Law Offices of Lisa Douglas is a renowned legal firm that provides the legal counsel to help you settle your medical claims and recover damages for all the losses caused due to the accident. Call 501-798-0004 to schedule a consultation today!


Related Posts

Leave a Reply