Slip and fall accidents can be very serious. According to the CDC, 20 percent of falls cause a serious head or neck injury. Because these cases can be so severe, there are few key things you may want to consider if you’re the victim of a slip and fall accident caused by someone else’s negligence:
- Seek Medical Care After the Fall The victim should seek medical treatment immediately after the incident. Sometimes, complications do not occur immediately after the fall. Residual pain from injuries can become an issue days after the accident. If the victim does not seek medical attention immediately after the accident, the insurance company may be able to argue that the pain was not caused by the fall. A doctor’s official medical diagnosis can be an incredibly valuable record during a slip and fall case.
- Report the Incident to the Owner We want to make sure our clients are properly compensated. If the accident happens on private property, the victim should notify the person in charge of the property. If the fall happens in a commercial building, the incident should be reported to a manager. For accidents that occur on public or recreational property, the municipal body responsible for the public space should be notified by a phone call and written notification.
- Ask for Contact Information From Witnesses If there are any witnesses to the incident, the victim should gather their contact information. An experienced DC personal injury lawyer may ask for the witnesses full names and phone numbers as their testimony could be a role in determining who is liable for the incident.
- Gather Photographic Evidence From the Scene Videos and pictures of the scene and injuries should be taken as soon as possible. These photos can also be useful in determining liability, as well as potentially help verify injury severity. This kind of documentation can be key for pursuing a claim quickly and effectively.
- Consider Hiring an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer Before speaking with any insurance companies, the victim may want to consider hiring an experienced personal injury attorney. The process of handling a personal injury claim can be complex and delicate. Simply put, mistakes due to inexperience or lack of knowledge can be the difference between getting the compensation you deserve, or facing the consequences of a personal injury alone.
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, it may be in your best interest to contact an experienced DC personal injury lawyer. An attorney may be able to help you get the compensation you deserve.
Thanks to our friends and co-contributors at Cohen & Cohen, P.C. for their added insight into personal injury practice.